Local Roots is a minority, female owned small business that believes food can change the world. Our menu features Chinese homestyle dishes using local ingredients. We're looking for hard working, dedicated individuals to join the farm-to-table revolution.
Currently hiring for:
Marketing and Events Partnership Coordinator
Kitchen Operations Manager
Farm to table Front of House Associate
Marketing and Events Partnership Coordinator
We are seeking a Marketing and Events Partnership Coordinator who is passionate about sustainability, community, and local food. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies, building strategic partnerships with local businesses and larger brands, acquiring new corporate clients for our food-focused experiences, and leading the execution of diverse events. Additionally, you will be required to plan and host events promoting sustainability and local food, while working within a tight budget.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies that promote sustainability and local food
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships with local businesses and organizations
- Acquire new corporate clients for our sustainable food-focused corporate experiences
- Plan and execute events that promote sustainability and local food
- Manage all incoming rental and party requests for the Market & Cafe; organize logistics needed to complete a successful event from start to finish
- Collaborate with internal teams to create marketing materials, including social media content, website updates, email newsletters, and text campaigns
- Communicate with clients to offer exceptional customer service and a superior event experience that meet Local Roots standards
- Conduct market research to identify new marketing opportunities and upcoming value aligned events to be involved with
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with event partners
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of marketing campaigns, partnerships, and events to propose strategies to increase engagement
- Grow client list for corporate farm-to-table experiences
- Manage and grow social media partnerships
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in marketing, partnerships, or related field
- Proven excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of sustainability, local food, and the food industry
- Ability to think strategically and creatively
- Experience using Klaviyo or similar newsletter campaign site and strategically drafting newsletters for a business
- Experience hosting events, including planning, logistics, and execution
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience creating content for social media
- Experience in budget management and being able to work with a tight budget
- Friendly, outgoing personality that enjoys talking to people and making connections focused around Local Roots
- Self motivated and proactive, can work well independently and has excellent organizational and time management skills.
Payment and Benefits:
- This position is part-time and paid hourly, $25-$32/hour, depending on experience
- Commission of 5% is given on any corporate events that are initiated and executed
- Up to 40 hours accrued annual Paid Sick Leave
- Complimentary weekly Vegetable share (5 varieties of organic, seasonal veggies)
- 20% discount on any Local Roots products (including lifestyle products and all other treats!)
- 20% off at all Local Roots Market & Cafe locations
- This role includes onsite work at events throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn, market locations, and all Local Roots locations
- $300 joining bonus after 6 months of employment
- As a Local Roots employee, you will be eligible for any additional benefits that become available in the future.
If you are a passionate New Yorker with experience in marketing, partnerships, event planning, and a strong interest in sustainability and local food, we would love to hear from you! Please send your resume and a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and personal qualities.
How to Apply:
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that details your previous experience planning events and/or building and maintaining partnerships.
The ideal candidate is hard working, looking to grow with our company, has experience managing kitchen teams, and is a wiz at streamlining operations to enhance efficiency.
- Analyze existing kitchen workflows and identify areas for improvement to enhance productivity and reduce waste.
- Develop and implement standardized operating procedures to optimize kitchen processes and ensure consistency.
- Identify and address bottlenecks, inefficiencies, and areas of improvement to achieve a more streamlined kitchen environment.
- Create processes for catering (serving up to 150 people for catering jobs)
- Create a system that will accurately track inventory levels of ingredients and supplies.
- Implement cost-control measures to minimize waste and ensure efficient utilization of resources.
- Monitor food costs and make data-driven decisions to maintain profitability without compromising quality.
- Order weekly inventory.
- Foster a positive and collaborative work culture, encouraging teamwork, and motivating staff to excel in their roles.
- Conduct regular workshops and skill development sessions to continuously improve kitchen operations.
- Ensure compliance with health, safety, and sanitation standards, promoting a clean and hygienic kitchen environment.
- Conduct regular inspections to monitor adherence to food safety regulations.
- Ensure seamless execution of menu items through effective communication and coordination with the kitchen team.
- Collaborate with other departments to enhance communication and create a cohesive working environment.
- Monitor food delivery apps and help to increase orders
- At least 2 years experience in the kitchen with a solid culinary background
- Solid understanding of kitchen operations and experience in streamlining processes for increased efficiency
- Experience with catering operations
- Experience with delivery apps
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a data-driven approach to decision-making.
- Excellent leadership and team management abilities, capable of motivating and empowering staff and build team comradery
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Knowledge of cost-control strategies and inventory management.
- Passion for culinary excellence and a commitment to delivering exceptional customer experiences.
- High emotional intelligence, excellent communication skills, and empathy
- Local Roots is a small team that values respect amongst team members. Your role is to always maintain our work culture that is safe and respectful.
Be a part of a dynamic culinary team passionate about sustainability and local food as a Line and Prep Cook at Local Roots NYC!! We are seeking a reliable and dedicated individual who will be responsible for preparing and portioning ingredients for the main dishes being cooked in the kitchen of our 3 locations, and prepare catering orders. This is a small team and not a large scale fine dining restaurant, making it ideal for an individual seeking a less stressful work environment or an individual just starting their culinary career path. We are ideally looking for candidates with experience in a professional kitchen, but are open to guiding home cooks or culinary students to work in an operating commercial kitchen. As a member of our team, we also invite you to foster your own passion and host pop ups or events at our BK cafe location.
We are looking for someone who is looking to grow with our company. There are multiple ways to set up your schedule. Prep work is completed in our Brooklyn cafe kitchen, and you can work the line at our Brooklyn cafe location or at our Midtown Kiosk or new Pier 57 food hall in Chelsea as a FOH/line kitchen hybrid role.
- Food Preparation: Handle food in a safe and compliant manner. Follow recipes and prepare/cook food to the highest standards. Monitor quality control of each food item throughout preparation and service.
- Wash, peel, chop, and slice ingredients quickly as needed for daily recipes
- Ensure that food preparation and storage areas are kept clean and organized
- Maintain safe food handling and sanitation practices at all times
- Maintain accurate inventory of supplies and equipment
- Receive and process deliveries. Store fresh produce and goods upon delivery according to food safety standards and maintain organization in the walk in.
- Maintain an efficient dish pit and clean kitchen, up to par with food safety standards.
- Prepare catering orders for events
Opportunity for recipe development using seasonal, local ingredients from our amazing farms, brainstorm event ideas, host your own events at Local Roots BK cafe
- A punctual, reliable and responsive partner: You are a self starter, a real team player, and show up on time
- Versatile and flexible- comfortable with multi-tasking across a variety of detailed tasks at once
- Empathetic and thoughtful - excellent communication and listening skills.
- Has a strong sense of urgency, accountability, and ownership: you can work quickly and efficiently while staying calm in a fast paced environment and proactively reach out to management with ideas for improvement
- Able to routinely lift and carry 50lb boxes and work on your feet while on-shift
- Proven experience working quickly with attention to detail in the kitchen and an eye for dish presentation
- Maintains the kitchen in a clean, organized manner
- Experience with preparing dishes for catering preferred
- Experience in a commercial kitchen or culinary experience preferred, but can teach a home cook if they are hard working and open to learning
- New York Food Handlers card or ServSafe food handlers certification required - you can acquire this at your time of hiring if you don’t have one already
- Passionate about local food or sustainability preferred but not required
Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- This is a full time position ranging from 35-40 hrs/week. Part time hours are available as well.
- Schedule for prep work can be flexible
- The Market and Café is located in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn with seating for approx 20 guests and offers take out options
- Our Midtown kiosk is located on 55th and Madison and our new Pier 57 location will be in Chelsea
- You will receive complimentary local veggies+fruit each week, PTO, and the opportunity to learn more about local agriculture and seasonality
- You receive 1 complimentary meal per shift and 20% off products in our store
- Pay is based on experience, $17-22/hr
To apply, please email your resume and short cover letter to email@example.com ASAP with subject line "LINE/KITCHEN PREP"
FARM TO TABLE FRONT OF HOUSE ASSOCIATE
Join the culinary revolution as a Front of House Associate at Local Roots! We are seeking a vibrant and outgoing individual passionate about local food and sustainability who is excited to learn more about local food and share this knowledge with New Yorkers. As a Front of House Associate, you will be responsible for creating a welcoming experience for our guests, prepare matcha and drinks, and do simple plating of dishes during PM hours.
If you have a love for people and hospitality, and a desire to grow, then this is the perfect job for you. We have positions open at our Brooklyn cafe, Pier 57 Chelsea food hall, and Midtown Kiosk.
- Customer Service: Work the front counter and ring up orders using Square POS systems. Provide excellent customer service and foster a sense of community among guests. Our menu dishes might be unfamiliar to some people since are serving Chinese homestyle cooking; your job is to help customers pick out dish items and to explain each dish's flavor notes.
- Food Preparation: Prepare coffee, tea, and mixed drinks. You will also do simple plating of hot dishes. You must be able to handle food in a safe and compliant manner
- Open + Close: You will be responsible for opening or closing duties
- Assist with events at the venue
- Opportunity to contribute ideas to community building events or host your own event at Local Roots
- Punctual, reliable and responsive: You are a self starter and a real team player. You show up on time consistently, respond to slack (our online communication platform), and you're eager to step in and help out - we are a small, lean business.
- Attention to detail and comfortable in fast paced environments
- Empathetic and outgoing with strong communication skills: Able to represent Local Roots as a thoughtful and passionate advocate for local farmers and fellow New Yorkers - you are committed to learning the ins-and-outs of the Local Roots mission and share it with the community. Your friendly personality can offer food and drink suggestions to customers.
- Versatile and flexible - comfortable with multi-tasking across a variety of detailed tasks at once and able to maintain a calm demeanor even during busy times
- Able to lift and carry 40lb boxes to successfully receive deliveries
- Able to work on your feet while on-shift
- Experience preparing drinks and taking orders in a fast paced environment
- 3+ months minimum prior kitchen, culinary, or retail experience preferred***
Food handlers license preferred
- Hours, Availability, and Compensation
- $17-20/hr based on experience, plus shared tips
- Part time and full time positions available at our Carroll Gardens, Midtown kiosk, and/or Chelsea James Beard curated food hall
- This position is paid hourly, earns up to 40 hours annually accrued PTO (after 120 day of employment) and receives cash and square tips.
- Other perks:
- $300 Bonus for working with us for 6 months.
- Weekly farm produce *approx 3-5 vegetable or fruit items*
- 20% off any additional subscriptions, add-on items and retail items in cafe
- Team visits to partner farmers and purveyors, when available
- Credit for daily meal during your shift
- Opportunity to learn more about local food and seasonality
To apply, please email your resume and short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP with subject line "FOH"
Join our growing cafe as Kitchen Manager and help lead the charge in developing our catering department! We are seeking a driven and dedicated individual with a strong culinary background who is excited about working with a small team. You will be responsible for managing the daily operations of our new Pier 57 James Beard food hall in Chelsea and Midtown Kiosk, as well as assist and guide our culinary team.
We are looking for someone who is committed to building a long-term career with Local Roots with opportunities to grow. Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success at a small business with excellent leadership skills, and a passion for guiding a kitchen team that is just starting their culinary careers. If you are a strategic thinker with a drive to continuously improve and seeking a less stressful job environment than a fine dining restaurant, this is the ideal role for you. You will work closely with the CEO and assistant general manager.
- Train new staff and continually help current staff grow in their roles. You believe in a two-way feedback loop, and strongly believe in supportive, strong, and firm leadership. You are comfortable delegating tasks and improving systems.
- Create seasonal dishes with kitchen staff and cost out dishes
- Identify opportunities to negotiate cost savings, enforce portioning standards, and closely monitor inventory to reduce waste and monitor spends.
- Create an organized system to monitor inventory of food and paper goods
- Oversee quality control and consistency of food on the line and prep kitchen
- Organize prep lists, create a system so team members ensure a fully stocked kitchen, oversee kitchen inventory
- Assist the CEO in launching the new PIer 57 food hall kiosk
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to think creatively and develop innovative solutions
- Experience expanding a food operation or opening a new kiosk preferred
- 2-3+ years in a food service setting
- 6 months in a leadership role in a kitchen
- Strong culinary background with experience in developing and executing catering menus
- Excellent leadership and people management skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage a team and delegate effectively
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Passion for providing outstanding customer service and hospitality
- Passion for teaching and guiding a kitchen staff that is just starting their culinary careers Successful experience delegating tasks, proactive in getting feedback from your team
Financial acumen, with experience in budgeting and cost control
Experience and knowledge of catering and event planning
- Proactive problem solver, resourceful, reliable
- Equally strong in the day-to-day management of a kitchen as creating streamlined processes
- Friendly personality that can represent Local Roots well. Empathetic and thoughtful leader for your team.
- Enthusiastic about wearing multiple hats and jumping in when needed
- Comfortable using software-based applications such as Square Point of Sale, Google Sheets, and Slack
- New York Food Handlers card or ServSafe food handlers certification required
- Able to routinely lift and carry 50lb boxes
- Able to work on your feet while on-shift
- The part-time version for this position is approx. 25-35 hours/week (with opportunity for additional hours as they become available)
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays required
- Experience opening a new food serving location preferred
Timeline, Compensation, and Benefits
Candidates are required to be on site at all three locations. The prep team is based at our Carroll Gardens location, and you will oversee the staff at our Midtown Kiosk and Pier 57 Food Hall kiosk in Chelsea.
- This position is paid a starting rate of $25-30/hour based on experience with a 40-50hr work week
- $600 joining bonus after 6 months and 10% commission on new catering accounts you bring in
- 40-hours paid vacation (begins after 190 days of employment)
- 40-hours accrued Sick Time (accrual begins after 190 days of employment)
- 30-minute paid lunch breaks, five days a week
- This position receives a complimentary weekly share of organic vegetables
- This position enjoys a daily comped entrée ($16 of value) and unlimited coffee and tea from the Market & Cafe
- This position enjoys a 20% discount on any items at the Market + Cafe
- To apply, please email your resume and short cover letter to email@example.com ASAP with subject line "KITCHEN GM"